Holiday Recipes to Try with Your Family
Holiday recipes provided by Loren Paglia from Loren’s Vegas Delights.
Cranberry Lemon Scones
With the perfect texture and warm flavor, these scones are perfect for an afternoon snack with a cup of tea on a cold day this holiday season.
2 cups flour
3 ounces unsalted butter
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream 1 cup of dried cranberries
2 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1. Mix flour, unsalted butter, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest and salt in a food processor until it forms a crumbly texture.
- 2. Transfer into a bowl and fold in whipping cream, cranberries, egg yolks and vanilla. Turn dough on a floured surface until it all comes together.
- 3. Shape dough into an 8-inch diameter circle and cut with a sharp knife into eight even wedges.
- 4. Brush tops of scone with an egg wash mixture, 1 egg yolk and 1 tablespoon of cream and bake at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- 5. Form a lemon glaze with 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and 1/4 cup of lemon juice mix and drizzle over scones when cooled.
Molasses Dream Cookies
Yields 3-4 dozen cookies.
A classic holiday treat, these cookies are fun to make and perfect to serve at your holiday party!
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cups (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup molasses
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons allspice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1. Cream together sugar and butter until fluffy, then add egg and molasses.
- 2. Combine flour, baking soda, salt, allspice, cinnamon and black pepper in a bowl then mix with the wet-ingredient combination.
- 3. Using a small ice cream scoop, scoop dough onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
- 4. While cookies bake, make glaze by mixing 1 cup of powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons of milk, 2 teaspoons of molasses, 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon of allspice and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Drizzle over cookies and enjoy!